The role of the student leader is to lead, support, inspire and represent the members of their appointed team fairly and consistently at all times. The student leader will be the team sounding board, the link between TD/HC and student athletes and act as a role model for their team and the IICL.
- Must be a Junior or Senior during race season (exceptions made for teams without juniors or seniors)
- Term runs Jan 1-Jan1
- Keep a GPA of 3.0
- Respect and follow the NICA code of conduct
Student Leader Expectations
- Serve as the link between Team Director/Head Coach and your teammates following up on communications between all parties.
- Participate in league zoom calls (quarterly but monthly in-season).
- In season, engage formally with student athletes monthly for feedback.
- In season, report to HC monthly with student feedback.
- Take the SLC online class directed by the league (3 hours)
- Lead by example and treat others as you’d want to be treated.
- Observe and promote all team rules, expectations and guidelines.
- Encourage teammates, be approachable, engaging, listen carefully and be your team’s spokesperson.
- Take special care to acknowledge the contributions of ALL athletes on the team.
- Never shows favoritism or promotes cliques.
- Understand that a leader is still a team player and promotes team cohesion.
- Demonstrates quality work ethic both within and outside the team.
- Makes an effort with every team member and all grades. Show genuine appreciation and concern for all team members.
- Be trustworthy, and by consistently doing the right thing, regardless of the circumstances, fosters and atmosphere of trust.
- Serve as a role model for future student leaders to follow.
Student Leader Benefits
- Race entries fees covers by the league
- Leadership summit and fuel reimbursement for travel to and from the location.
Once the student has submitted their application, the IICL Leadership will review and forward to each team leadership, along with selection protocols, to make the final decision.
Please feel free to reach out to Yadi (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Matt (email@example.com) with any additional questions.